About The Council
Saxmundham Town Council is the first tier of local government and serves a population of approximately 4,500 people.
The Town Council is directly responsible for the Town House, and some open spaces in the town including the Memorial Field, and Seaman’s Road and Chantry Road play areas. The Council is also the corporate trustee of the Market Hall and Gannon Institute.
The Town Council are consulted on planning matters (although decisions are made by East Suffolk Council) and provide help and assistance to organisations operating in the town.
The following Council’s Aims were adopted in 2020 :
- To communicate effectively and engage positively
- To define an effective strategy for sustainable development and regeneration
- To help create a stronger sense of community cohesion and self-confidence,
- To promote our town and its interests effectively as a great place to live and work
- To develop a more effective council administration
- To be a good, forward-looking steward of our community assets and facilities, and to provide and develop good local public services
The Town Council, East Suffolk Council and Suffolk County Council work in partnership to manage the amenities and services within the town.
East Suffolk Council manages planning, social housing, refuse collection, and elections.
For full details of their responsibilities please visit the website Home » East Suffolk Council
Suffolk County Council manages social care, education and highways.
For full details of their responsibilities please visit their website http://www.suffolk.gov.uk
The Town Council has seats for twelve Councillors. Currently, there are eleven Town Councillors who are supported by the Town Clerk and her team.
The Town Council offices are located at Town House on Station Approach opposite the Train Station