About The Council
Saxmundham Town Council is the first tier of local government and serves a population of approximately 4,500 people. The Town Council is directly responsible for the Town House, the Memorial Field, Seaman’s Rd and Chantry Rd play areas. The Council is also the corporate trustee of the Market Hall. The Town Council are consulted on Planning matters (although the decision is made by East Suffolk District Council) and provide help and assistance to organisations. operating in the Town
The Council Aims were adopted in 2020 :
- To communicate effectively and engage positively
- To define an effective strategy for sustainable development and regeneration
- To help create a stronger sense of community cohesion and self-confidence,
- To promote our town and its interests effectively as a great place to live and work
- To develop a more effective council administration
- To be a good, forward-looking steward of our community assets and facilities, and to provide and develop good local public services
The Town Council, East Suffolk District Council and Suffolk County Council work in partnership to manage the Amenities and Services within the Town.
East Suffolk District Council manages planning, social housing, refuse collection, and elections for full details of their responsibilities please visit the website Home » East Suffolk Council
Suffolk County Council manages social care, education and highways. For full details of their responsibilities please visit their website http://www.suffolk.gov.ukThere are eleven Town Councillors who are supported by the Town Clerk and Assistant Town Clerk.
The Town Council offices are located at Town House on Station Approach opposite the Train Station.